How does it work?
Just click the link on your 'Upgrade Yourself' email and follow these 3 simple steps:
Frequently Asked Questions
What flights can I upgrade?
Only flights between Ireland, North America and Canada are eligible to be considered for an upgrade. Not all flights are automatically eligible for an upgrade. Eligible passenger will receive an email shortly after booking inviting them to make an offer.
Am I eligible to make an upgrade offer?
We will send all eligible passengers an email inviting them to make an offer.
If I booked my flight through a travel agent or a website other than the Aer Lingus website, am I eligible to make an upgrade offer?
No. Only bookings made via the Aer Lingus website, mobile app or via the Customer Contact Centre are currently eligible to make an offer to upgrade.
If my flight has more than one sector do I need to make an offer for all sectors or can I make offers for select sectors?
Flight sectors are considered independent of one another. If you wish to upgrade a journey with multiple sectors, you must make an offer to upgrade each sector individually with a separate, single offer.
For example: If you are travelling from Paris to New York via Dublin, you can make an offer for the Dublin to New York sector and opt to not make an offer for the New York to Dublin return sector.
If you do not want to upgrade a sector, simply move the offer slider to the far left to indicate "No Offer" for that sector.
Are there any specific reasons why I might not be eligible to make an upgrade offer?
There are several different factors that may restrict your eligibility to make an offer to upgrade, these include:
- No seat availability on your flight
- You do not have a ticket yet
- Your reservation is not confirmed yet
- Your flight is not operated by Aer Lingus
- The flight you are travelling on is not currently accepting offers
- You booked through a channel other than the Aer Lingus, mobile app or Customer Contact Centre
How do I make an offer for a flight?
Simply follow the instructions on the email which was shared shortly after booking.
What are the steps I need to follow to submit an offer?
You can expect an email shortly after booking and 14 days prior to departure, inviting you to make an offer.
- Choose the flight sector you would like to upgrade, and move the slider to indicate your offer.
- Enter your contact and payment details in the fields provided.
- Review and submit your details.
- After completion, you will be emailed confirmation of your upgrade offer. You can use this email to modify or cancel your offer.
- Note: You will not be charged unless your offer is successful.
What does my offer value mean?
Your offer value is the amount you are willing to pay in addition to your original ticket cost to upgrade your specified flight.
Does it cost anything to make an offer to upgrade?
No. Aer Lingus do not charge any booking fees or card fees for making an offer, however your bank may charge you if the currency of your offer is not the same currency as your bank account. You will only be charged by Aer Lingus if your offer is successful.
Is there a minimum amount I must offer for an upgrade?
Each flight has minimum and maximum assigned offer value and your offer must lie between these two values.
How do I know what price to offer for an upgrade?
All flights have a range from which you can select the value you want to offer. The Offer Strength gauge, found on the offer page, can help you determine the strength or your offer. The gauge is to be used as a guide, not confirmation that your offer will be successful.
Are there any additional taxes to pay on top of the upgrade amount?
No. All offers are inclusive of taxes and surcharges. Please note UK legislation levies different rates of APD depending on your class of service. The additional incremental cost is additional to the offer value made and is highlighted during the offer process.
Do I need to pay anything upfront to submit an offer to upgrade?
No. You will only be charged if your offer is successful.
Can I submit different offer amounts for each flight sector of my journey?
Yes. You can offer different amounts for each sector, including indicating "No Offer" for those sectors you don’t wish to make an offer for. You will receive a confirmation email indicating how much you offered per person for each sector.
What do the colours of the Offer Strength gauge indicate?
The Offer Strength gauge gives you an indication of the likelihood that your offer will be accepted, subject to established criteria. This gauge is to be used as a guide, not confirmation that your offer will be accepted.
Is there a specific amount that I should offer to be successful in receiving an upgrade?
The Offer Strength gauge gives you an indicator of the strength of your offer. Several factors are considered in determining the strength of your offer. This gauge is to be used as a guide, not confirmation that your offer will be accepted.
I received an email inviting me to make an offer to upgrade. What do I do next?
Click the link in the invite email to launch the Upgrade Yourself webpage. Follow the simple step-by-step process to make your offer.
How many days do I have to submit my offer?
The offer window closes five days prior to the departure date of your flight. You can also make changes up until this time.
I forgot to make my offer before offer window closed. Is there any way I can still submit an offer?
No. Once the offer window has closed there is no way to submit an offer. All offers must be made at least five days prior to the departure date of your flight.
If I didn't receive an invite email, can I still make an offer?
Should your journey be eligible, you will receive an offer email.
If there are multiple passengers on my bookings, do I have to make an offer for all passengers?
Yes. You cannot split the booking. If your upgrade is accepted all passengers will be upgraded.
Is it possible to increase/decrease my offer, if I have already made my offer?
Yes. You can modify your offer by clicking on the link in your confirmation email.
What forms of payment are accepted for offers?
Accepted payment types include credit and debit cards. Accepted card types include Visa, MasterCard, AMEX and Diners.
When will my credit card be charged?
You will only be charged if your offer is successful. Successful offers will be selected and you will be informed no later than two days prior to the departure date of your flight.
Can I use my Gold Circle Points to make an offer through Upgrade Yourself?
No. Gold Circle Points are not an accepted form of payment for Upgrade Yourself.
I am travelling with someone on the same booking who does not want to upgrade. Can I make an offer to be upgraded separately?
No. Unfortunately you cannot split the booking.
I have a group of passengers travelling on separate bookings that all want to bid together, is this possible?
Yes, however separate bookings need to be combined into one booking. This can only be completed by contacting your local Aer Lingus Reservations office. Once completed, an Upgrade Yourself bid may then be placed using the new booking reference.
I need to change the payment type I used to submit my offer. How can I do this?
Unfortunately you cannot simply change your payment type. Instead you must cancel your original offer and make a new offer.
To make a new offer, click the link in your cancellation email, and follow the simple step-by-step process.
I need to change a flight booking, for which I have made an upgrade offer. Can I transfer my offer to my new flight?
No. Upgrade offers are non-transferable.
You will need to cancel your original offer, and make a new offer on your new booking. To do so, visit the Upgrade Yourself webpage, and follow the simple step-by-step process to make a new offer.
I need to change a flight, for which I have successfully received an upgrade. Can I transfer my upgrade? If not, what happens to my upgrade?
Upgrades cannot be transferred. If you choose to change your flight you will not be refunded or credited for your successful upgrade offer.
I cancelled my original offer, but now I want to make a new offer. Can I do this?
Yes, provided the offer window has not closed. To make a new offer click the link in your cancellation email, and follow the simple step-by-step process.
Can I modify the amount I offered?
Yes, provided the offer window has not closed.
To modify your offer, click the link in your confirmation email, or visit the Upgrade Yourself webpage.
I need to cancel a flight, for which I have successfully received an upgrade. Can I cancel my upgrade?
You can cancel your booking as per your original fare rules, but you will not receive a refund for your successful upgrade offer.
If I cancel my flight booking, before the bid window has closed, do I also need to cancel my upgrade bid?
Yes, as bids are independent of airline bookings. Should bids not also be cancelled, there is a risk of the credit card you have submitted during the bid process being debited, should your bid be successful.
Will I receive extra Points if I am successfully upgraded?
No. Gold Circle Points can only be earned for the original booking.
When will I be informed if my offer was successful?
You will receive an email at least one day prior to the departure date of your flight, informing you if you have been successful or unsuccessful.
If my offer is unsuccessful, will I be told why?
No. Numerous factors impact the selection process and therefore we cannot specify why certain offers are unsuccessful.
When will I be told if my offer was unsuccessful?
You will receive an email at least one day prior to the departure date of your flight, informing you if you have been successful or unsuccessful.
My offer was unsuccessful. Can I make a second offer?
No. If your offer was unsuccessful you cannot make another offer on the same flight.
I was successfully awarded an upgrade, but my flight was cancelled. Will I receive a refund for my upgrade?
Aer Lingus will endeavour to accommodate you with your upgrade on the next available flight.
If you are not reaccommodated, you have 30 days after the flight’s departure to fill out our refund form to organise a refund.
What baggage allowance applies to my upgrade booking?
The baggage allowance of the business cabin will apply to your upgraded sector.
Once my upgrade is confirmed can I select my seat in my upgraded cabin class?
Yes. You can select your seat by visiting a Kiosk or the dedicated Aer Lingus Business Class check-in counter at the airport.
What fare rules apply to my upgraded booking?
The fare rules of your original booking will continue to apply to your upgraded booking.
Am I entitled to the benefits of my upgraded cabin class?
If you are upgraded through Upgrade Yourself you will receive:
- An upgraded seat in a business cabin class
- Complimentary food and beverage
- Complimentary in-flight entertainment
- Complimentary wi-fi
- Priority Check-in , Priority Baggage and Priority Boarding
- Access to the Aer Lingus lounge or partner lounges (where available, subject to conditions of entry)
Who can I contact to find out more about my upgrade?
If you have any questions about your upgrade or the upgrade process, please contact our Customer Contact Centre.
Will I receive a refund if I purchased a Choice Seat with my original fare?
No. Unfortunately we cannot refund any extras associated with your original booking.
Will I receive a refund if I purchased a Meal with my original fare?
No. Unfortunately we cannot refund any extras associated with your original booking.
Will I receive a refund if I purchased additional baggage allowances with my original fare?
No. Unfortunately we cannot refund any extras associated with your original booking
- The following terms and conditions ('Terms and Conditions') apply to an offer ('Offer') made by you ('you') to Aer Lingus Limited ('Aer Lingus') for an opportunity to purchase and upgrade from the economy class seat that was originally purchased by you for travel with Aer Lingus to a business class seat ('Upgrade').
- All carriage by Aer Lingus is subject to the Aer Lingus General Conditions of Contract and Carriage, and the fare rules and conditions provided at the time of purchasing a ticket.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to submit an Offer.
- Not all passengers are eligible for an Upgrade. Aer Lingus has the right to determine eligibility at its sole and absolute discretion. To check eligibility, visit the Aer Lingus Upgrade Yourself dedicated page and enter your booking reference number and surname in the fields provided. Alternatively, eligible passengers will be sent an e-mail inviting them to submit an Offer.
- Aer Lingus Upgrade Yourself is only available on selected flights operated by it between Ireland and destinations in the United States and Canada and on certain dates, in all cases at the absolute discretion of Aer Lingus.
- Aer Lingus Upgrade Yourself is only available on Aer Lingus flights purchased online at www.aerlingus.com, through Aer Lingus's mobile application or by calling the Aer Lingus Customer Contact Centre.
- Reward seat or flight bookings purchased using Gold Circle Points are not eligible for Upgrade.
- Only one Offer may be submitted per booking. An Offer may only subsequently be cancelled or modified by you in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- If there are two or more passengers in your booking, you may only submit an Offer to Upgrade for all such passengers. The Offer amount will be on a per-passenger basis. The Offer amount will be multiplied by the number of passengers in your booking. If you submit an Offer you will be deemed to have the authority to act on behalf of and to bind the person or persons named or included in the Offer, to these Terms and Conditions.
- If you are an eligible passenger you can make an Offer by: a. visiting the Aer Lingus Upgrade Yourself website and entering your booking reference number and surname in the fields provided; or b. following the link contained in an e-mail inviting you to submit an Offer.
- The booking reference number is the reservation number which is supplied to you at the time you purchase an Aer Lingus ticket. A booking reference number is required to submit an Offer from the Aer Lingus Upgrade Yourself website, to access that Offer subsequently from the Aer Lingus Upgrade Yourself website and to modify (including by increasing) or cancel it. The booking reference number provided must be kept confidential. You must not share your booking reference number and you are responsible for protecting it against improper or unauthorised use.
- An Offer, when submitted by you, entitles the person or persons named on the Offer to be considered for an Upgrade, subject to these Terms and Conditions.
- An Offer refers to the total amount, per person, that an eligible passenger is willing to pay for the opportunity to upgrade from the cabin class that was originally purchased for travel with Aer Lingus, to the business cabin. The amount of an Offer is separate from and additional to the amount paid for the original ticket purchased. For the avoidance of doubt, if an Offer is accepted by Aer Lingus, the total value of the ticket the subject of an Upgrade is the amount paid for the original ticket purchased plus the amount of the Offer.
- Offers which are accepted can only be paid for by major credit card or debit card. The payment will only be deducted if an Offer is accepted by Aer Lingus.
- A one euro authorisation hold will be placed on the payment card account ('Account') used to submit the Offer in order to verify that the Account is active. This is not a charge and this authorisation hold amount will be removed from the Account when an Offer is either accepted or declined by Aer Lingus.
- Offers will be accepted by Aer Lingus in its sole and absolute discretion based on, but not limited to, any number of the following selection criteria: the amount of the Offer, the cabin class of the original booking, the frequent flyer status of the person making the Offer, the number of seats available in the business cabin, the number of passengers named in an Offer and the number of Offers previously accepted by Aer Lingus from the person making the Offer. Seats in the business class cabin will not be available on all flights and as such your ability to receive an Upgrade is subject to availability.
- Aer Lingus makes no representation that you will receive an Upgrade, regardless of whether or not seats are available in the business cabin for which an Offer is made.
- You may only submit, modify or cancel an Offer from the date on which Aer Lingus announces that it will receive Offers in respect of a particular flight (to which Aer Lingus Upgrade Yourself relates) until five days prior to the scheduled departure date of that flight (the 'Bidding Window'), and in the case of your modification or cancellation of an Offer provided that Aer Lingus has not already accepted your Offer and/or your payment card has not been charged.
- 19. Once you submit an Offer, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to you. You may modify or cancel that Offer prior to the closure of the Bidding Window (through the link in the e-mail or by accessing the Offer from the Aer Lingus Upgrade Yourself website) provided that (i) Aer Lingus has not already accepted the Offer (which will occur no later than one day prior to the scheduled departure date of the flight to which the Offer relates) and (ii) you have not been charged for the Offer. If an Offer is accepted before being modified or cancelled, the passenger is legally bound to complete payment for the Offer.
- All notifications and communications concerning an Offer will be communicated to you by means of e-mail to the address provided by you when you submitted the Offer. For security reasons, this e-mail address is not capable of being amended.
- Offers can be assessed by Aer Lingus at any time during the period from when an Offer is submitted, to one day prior to the scheduled departure date of the flight to which the Offer relates.
- You will be notified whether your Offer has been accepted by Aer Lingus no later than one day prior to the scheduled departure date of the relevant flight.
- An Offer that complies with these Terms and Conditions will be a valid offer from the time of its submission until the time you are notified whether your Offer is accepted (Valid Offer). If you cancel an Offer within the Bidding Window or cancel a flight booking to which an Offer relates, the Offer will no longer be a Valid Offer.
- Aer Lingus may accept an Offer at any time during the period it remains a Valid Offer. In the event that Aer Lingus accepts your Offer: a. You will be notified via e-mail and charged the full amount of the Offer; and b. Aer Lingus will issue a new ticket reflecting the Upgrade to you and/or each passenger the subject of an accepted Offer included in the original booking. The total amount charged includes all applicable pre-payable taxes and fees (if any) for the Upgrade. The total amount to be paid will be disclosed to the Passenger prior to submission of the Offer.
- The charge for an Upgrade may appear under the name of Plusgrade LP, the company collecting Upgrade charges on behalf of Aer Lingus. You agree that you will not challenge or dispute a charge by reason that Plusgrade LP appears on the statement applicable to your payment card.
- In the event that Aer Lingus re-accommodates you onto another flight, for any reason other than your default, Aer Lingus will use its best endeavours to transfer the Upgrade to the new flight. The transfer of Upgrades is subject to availability.
- No refunds, credits or exchanges will be issued once an Offer has been accepted by Aer Lingus and you have been charged, unless one of the following conditions apply:
- A flight for which an Offer is accepted is cancelled, and Aer Lingus re-accommodates you onto another flight in the original cabin class booked; or
- Your Offer is accepted and you receive an Upgrade, but you are unable to be seated in the Upgraded cabin class for reasons other than your default (such as a change in aircraft type or a delay in a connecting flight on Aer Lingus services that results in your missing your connection for which you received an Upgrade) or for reasons attributable to your actions (including, but not limited to, your change of flights resulting in your missing the flight for which you received an Upgrade).
- To apply for a refund, you are required to complete and submit the Customer Relations Form on aerlingus.com
- If the refund is approved, the amount of the Upgrade will be refunded to the payment card that was used to pay for the Upgrade.
- Where refunds are approved for the reasons specified in condition 27 above, the amount paid for the Upgrade will be refunded, and Aer Lingus will have no further liability to you.
- No refund will be issued in the case of a change to a substitute aircraft to operate a flight where the Upgrade is still available to you on that substitute aircraft.
- Approved refunds will be processed in the currency in which the Upgrade amount was charged. Refunds are limited to the amount charged for the Upgrade. No bank-related charges will be refunded.
- The fare rules of the original ticket purchased will remain in effect and are applicable to your flight even if an Offer is accepted and a new ticket is issued reflecting the Upgrade. Fare rules include, but are not limited to, cancellation policies, change fees, seat fees, meal fees and baggage fees and allowances. You are eligible to earn Gold Circle points on foot of your Upgrade only at the rate of your originally purchased ticket, not at the rate of the fare applicable to the Upgrade.
- Aer Lingus will endeavour to ensure services typically available to Passengers booked in the Upgraded cabin class including, Priority Check-in, Priority Baggage, Additional Baggage Allowance, Priority Boarding, Aer Lingus lounge access, and on board meals are included in the Upgrade. However, Aer Lingus is unable to guarantee that all services typically available to Passengers booked in the Upgraded cabin class will be included in the Upgrade.
- If you modify your booking after being notified that your Offer is accepted, Aer Lingus has no obligation to seat you in the Upgraded cabin class, and the amount paid for the Upgrade will be forfeited without a refund.
- Aer Lingus does not guarantee specific seat assignments to passengers who receive an Upgrade.
- The failure by Aer Lingus to exercise its rights will not be construed as a waiver or relinquishment of the future performance of any of its rights, and your obligations with respect to such future performance shall continue in full force and effect.
- If you purchase a Choice or Exit Seat for your original booking, then receive an Upgrade, you will not be refunded the amount paid for the Choice or Exit Seat. If you purchase a Pre-Order meal for your original booking, then receive an Upgrade, will not be refunded the amount paid for the Pre-Order Meal. If you purchase additional baggage allowance for your original booking, then receive an Upgrade, you will not be refunded the amount paid for the additional baggage allowance.
- The higher the offer, the greater the chances of a successful bid.
- Bids are per-flight, and only available on flights to/from North America
- Please note flight/date restrictions may apply.