Travel to and from Canada

Travel documents? Here’s everything you need to know. Before you take that trip to/from Canada, it’s essential to know what travel documentation you require. We’ve put together everything you need to know right here.

Irish citizens and other visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. It is in the form of an electronic authorization which is applied for online at the following Canadian Government website:

eTA is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. The eTA authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. Last-minute applications can be made on any device with an internet connection, including mobile phones. Most applicants can expect to get an email response within minutes of applying.

There is a charge on the traveller of $7 CAD per application. This charge is collected by the Canadian Government and is not an Aer Lingus fee.

In addition to eTA you’ll need to ensure you carry proper travel documents and identification for yourself and any children travelling with you.

Certain countries and territories need a full visa to visit or transit Canada. If you hold an alien’s passport or you’re stateless, you’ll need a visa. Please visit the Canada Border Services Agency website for more information.



  • Use at Primary Inspection Kiosks on arrival in Canada
  • Quick, simple and secure
  • Operates entirely in airplane mode (once downloaded).
  • Stores only non-sensitive information
  • Allows you to create a declaration for up to five travellers with the same place of residence
  • Reduces your Primary Inspection Kiosk processing time by up to 50% upon arrival