If your flight was booked through aerlingus.com, you can book your sports equipment in advance online. To do so, you’ll need to know your booking reference as well as your departure airport, arrival airport and the email address used to make your booking.
Note: If you didn’t book online, you’ll need to contact your local reservations office to book your sports equipment in advance.
- Aer Lingus will carry your sports equipment as checked baggage.
- The maximum weight allowable for sports equipment is 23kg/50lb. Normal excess baggage rates apply if you carry in excess to this maximum allowance.
- Each passenger can carry a maximum of one piece of sports equipment.
- For our flights operating to/from North America, sports equipment is carried as part of the standard free baggage allowance. Excess baggage rates of €75/$100 apply if you carry in excess of the free allowance. This fee is charged per passenger, each way.
- For all other Aer Lingus flights, Sports Equipment is subject to a fee of €40 or equivalent payable online prior to departure; or a fee of €50 or equivalent payable through our reservations centre or at the airport on the day of departure. This fee is charged per passenger, per direction.
- If you’re travelling on Aer Lingus Regional flights, the carriage of applicable sports equipment is subject to available space on the day.
- For business class passengers, sports equipment is carried free of charge.
- Groups travelling with sports equipment should contact us directly to ensure there’s sufficient space in the aircraft.
- Important: Pack your sports equipment carefully to prevent any damage to it or other items. We’ll only accept sports equipment if it’s packed appropriately to prevent damage and that meets the size and weight restrictions.
- Golf equipment may consist of one golf bag containing golf clubs and other golfing gear.
- A maximum of one golf bag per person is allowed.
- If you’re travelling on Aer Lingus Regional flights, the maximum number of golf bags permitted on the aircraft in total will vary depending on the aircraft type. A maximum of 6 per flight are permitted on ATR42 aircraft and maximum of 12 per flight are permitted on ATR72 aircraft. This is subject to availability on the day. Groups with golf bags should contact us in advance.
- Unfortunately, space for bicycles can’t be booked online. Please contact your local reservations office to pre-book in advance.
- On Aer Lingus flights, a maximum limit of ten bicycles per flight applies, except in the following airports where, due to high cargo volumes, a restriction of six bicycles per-flight applies:
- On Aer Lingus Regional flights, only one bicycle per flight can be carried. This is subject to availability on the day of departure.
- Bicycles are carried as checked baggage in the aircraft hold.
- There’s a fee of €50 (or equivalent) for the carriage of a bicycle payable via our reservations centre, or at the airport on the day of departure. This fee is charged on an each-way basis.
- Before we can transport bicycles, the handlebars must be lowered and fixed sideways.
- The pressure of the tyres must be reduced to avoid any problems in the unlikely event of pressurisation changes during flight.
- If possible, the pedals should be inverted.
- When necessary, sharp projective parts should be protected with plastic or cardboard to avoid damage to other load.
- If travelling from Amsterdam, boxes will be provided at a fee of €20.00.
Checking in with Bicycles
- You must allow sufficient time at check-in so that security and handling procedures can be completed. Bicycles already confirmed by reservation will be checked in automatically. When a bicycle hasn’t been confirmed, it’ll be carried on a stand-by basis. In all cases, you must arrive at check-in at least 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Aer Lingus will carry sports guns and ammunition cartridges subject to the following:
- Sports guns are to be dismantled.
- Sports guns, when dismantled, are to be loaded with checked baggage.
- Sport guns, ammunition and cartridges must be packed separately from other baggage.
- Sport guns, ammunition and cartridges must be available for inspection by security.
- Ammunition is limited to 5kg per passenger and must be packed in containers of wood, metal, or fireboard with the contents protected against any movement.
- Sports guns are subject to an extra charge for flights within Europe. Only the licensed firearm owner may check in a sports gun upon presentation of their valid firearm license at check-in.
- Note: International firearm regulations vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s).
- Note: Sports weapons/firearms/ammunition can’t be carried on Aer Lingus Regional flights.
Fees for Sports Guns and Ammunition:
- Our fee is €50/£40 (or equivalent) per gun on all flights within Europe. This fee is payable at the airport on the day of departure.
- Diving equipment must be packed in a recognised diving kit bag, and mustn’t exceed the maximum dimensions and weight restrictions.
- Cylinders aren’t permitted for carriage on our aircraft.
- Pressure-sensitive devices may need special packaging. Please refer to the manufacturer for advice.
Fishing equipment includes the fishing rod, case and tackle basket. If you’re travelling on Aer Lingus Regional flights, the maximum permitted length of fishing equipment is 2.05m/6ft 9 inches.
Please note that surfboards must not exceed 2.77m in length (approx. 110 inches). They must be packed in cushioning material such as bubble wrapping to protect them against damage.
On Aer Lingus Regional flights, surfboards must not exceed 2.05m (approx. 80 inches).
- Unfortunately, windsurfing equipment can’t be booked online. To book it you must contact your local reservations office.
- A maximum of one board, one boom, one sail and one mast applies per person.
- No item may exceed 2.77m in length (110 inches).
- Windsurfing equipment must be packed to avoid damage.
- Please give sufficient time at check-in for security and handling procedures. You must arrive at check-in at least 90-minutes before your scheduled departure time.
A maximum of one pair of skis, boots and poles per person can be booked online.
A maximum of one snowboard per person can be booked online.