Planning an active holiday?
- Aer Lingus will carry Sports Equipment as checked baggage.
- The maximum weight allowable for carriage of sports equipment is 23kg / 50lb. Normal excess baggage rates apply if the passenger carries excess to this maximum allowance.
- Each passenger can carry a maximum of 1 piece of sports equipment.
- For Aer Lingus flights operating to/from North America, Sports Equipment is carried as part of the standard free baggage allowance, excess baggage rates of €75/$100 apply if the passenger carries excess to the free allowance. This fee is charged per passenger, per direction.
- For all other Aer Lingus flights, Sports Equipment is subject to a fee of €40 or equivalent payable online prior to departure; or a fee of €50 or equivalent payable through our reservations centre or at the airport on the day of departure. This fee is charged per passenger, per direction.
- If you are travelling on Aer Lingus Regional flights the carriage of applicable sports equipment is subject to available space on the day.
- For Business Class passengers, sports equipment is carried free of charge.
- Groups travelling with Sports Equipment - please contact us directly to make special arrangements to ensure there is enough space in the aircraft hold to carry your sports equipment.
- Important: Pack your sports equipment carefully to prevent any damage to it or other items.
Book Your Sports Equipment in Advance
If your booking was made on aerlingus.com you can book bags in advance by clicking here: Book Bag in Advance. You will need to know your Booking Reference as well as the Departure Airport, Arrival Airport and the email address used to make your booking.
Note: If you did not book online you will need to contact our Reservations Department in order to book your bags in advance.
- Golfing equipment may consist of one golf bag containing golf clubs and golf equipment.
- A maximum of 1 golf bag per person is allowed.
- If you are travelling on Aer Lingus Regional flights the maximum golf bags allowed is 12 golf bags per flight. This is all subject to availability on the day.
- Groups with golf bags should contact us in advance.
- Bicycles cannot be booked online. Contact the local reservations office to pre-book in advance.
- On Aer Lingus flights a maximum limit of 10 bicycles per flight applies, except in the following airports where, due to high cargo volumes a restriction of 6 bicycles per-flight apply:
- On Aer Lingus Regional flights a maximum limit of 2 bicycles per flight applies. This is subject to availability on the day of departure.
- Bicycles are carried as checked baggage in the aircraft hold.
- A maximum of 1 Bicycle per passenger is permitted.
- There is a fee of €50 or equivalent payable via reservations centre or at the airport on the day of departure for the carriage of a bicycle.
- This fee is charged on an each-way basis.
- Before transportation of bicycles, the handlebars shall be lowered and fixed sideways, the pressure of the tyres reduced to avoid any problems in the unlikely event of pressurisation changes during flight and, if possible, invert the pedals.
- When necessary, sharp projective parts should be protected with plastic or cardboard to avoid damage to other load.
- From Amsterdam boxes will be provided at a fee of €20.00.
- Passengers must allow sufficient time at check-in so that security and handling procedures can be completed. Bicycles already confirmed by reservation will be checked in automatically. When a bicycle has not been confirmed it will be carried on a stand-by basis.
In all cases, the passenger must arrive at Check-in at least 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Diving Equipment must be packed in a recognised kit bag and must not exceed the maximum dimensions and weight restrictions.
- Cylinders are not permitted for carriage on Aer Lingus aircraft.
- Pressure-sensitive devices may need special packaging. Please refer to the manufacturer for advice.
- Fishing Equipment includes the Fishing Rod, Case and Tackle Basket.
- If you are travelling on Aer Lingus Regional flights the maximum permitted length of fishing equipment is 2.05m / 6 ft 9 inches.
- Please note that Surf Boards must not exceed 2.77m in length (approx 110 inches) and must be packed in cushioning material such as bubble wrapping so as to protect them against damage.
- On Aer Lingus Regional flights, surfboards must not exceed 2.05m (approx 80 inches)
- Wind Surf Equipment cannot be booked online.
- To book the wind surf equipment the passenger must contact their local reservations office.
- A maximum of 1 Board, 1 Boom, 1 Sail and 1 Mast per person.
- No item may exceed 2.77m in length (110 inches).
- Wind surfing equipment must be packed to avoid damage.
- Give sufficient time at check in for security and handling procedures. You must arrive at check-in at least 90-minute pre flight.
- A maximum of 1 Pair of skis, boots and poles per person can be booked online.
- A maximum of 1 snow board per person can be booked online.
Aer Lingus will carry sports guns and ammunition cartridges subject to the following:
- Sport Guns are to be dismantled.
- Sports Guns when dismantled are to be loaded with checked baggage.
- Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be packed separately from other baggage.
- Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be available for inspection by security.
- Ammunition is limited to 5kg per passenger and must be packed in containers of wood, metal, or fireboard with the contents protected against any movement.
- Subject to an extra charge for flights within Europe.
Only the licensed firearm owner may check-in a Sport Gun upon presentation of their valid Firearm License at check-in.
Note: Sports Weapons/Firearms/Ammunition cannot be carried on Aer Lingus Regional flights.
Fees For Sports Guns And Ammunition:
€50/£40 or equivalent for all flights within Europe.. This fee is payable at the airport on the day of departure.