Restricted / Prohibited Items
Banned, restricted and dangerous goods are articles or substances that are capable of posing a risk to health, safety, property or the environment. If you wish to travel with any such goods or material, please be aware of the restrictions or steps you may have to take to travel on an Aer Lingus service.
Items prohibited as cabin and checked baggage on Aer Lingus Flights
- Pointed edged weapons & sharp objects - axes, swords, knives with blades of more than 6cms, scissors with blades of more than 6cms as measured from the fulcrum.
- Disabling devices such as mace, pepper spray, etc.
- Electro shock weapons (e.g. Tasers) containing dangerous goods - such as explosives, compressed gases, lithium batteries, etc.
- Security-type attaché cases - such as cash boxes, cash bags, etc.
- Explosives - such as detonators, fuses, grenades, mines and explosives etc.
- Flammable gases - such as propane, butane, etc
- Flammable liquids - such as - paint, gasoline, solvents, methanol, etc.
- Flammable solids and reactive substances - such as magnesium, firelighters, fireworks flares, etc.
- Large Electrical items - such as televisions, fridges, microwaves, etc.
- Oxidizers and organic peroxides - such as bleach, car body repairs kits, etc.
- Toxic or infectious substances - such as rat poison, infected blood, weed killer, etc.
- Radioactive material - such as medicinal or commercial isotopes.
- Strike anywhere matches
- Substances liable to spontaneous combustion - Phosphorus, etc.
- Corrosive materials - such as acids, mercury, vehicle batteries, etc.
- Vehicle fuel system components which have contained fuel.
- Spare Lithium Metal batteries
- Canned recreational oxygen products
Items prohibited on board Aer Lingus Flights
The following list covers items restricted for carriage on board Aer Lingus services.
- Blunt instruments - any blunt instrument capable of causing injury.
- Chemical and toxic substances - any chemical or toxic substance which poses a risk to the health of passengers and crew or the security/safety of aircraft or property.
- Christmas crackers
- Electronic Cigarettes
- Explosive or highly combustible substances which pose a risk to the health of passengers and crew or the security/safety of the aircraft property.
- Gas cigarette lighters are prohibited on all flights to and from the USA.
- Guns, firearms & weapons - any object capable or appearing capable of discharging a project or causing injury.
- Pointed edged weapons & sharp objects - pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury.
- Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal).
Note: While some items are restricted as cabin or checked baggage, they may be allowed to travel as cargo. For more information, contact Aer Lingus Cargo.
Restricted items requiring advance notification to Aer Lingus (48 hours)
The following list covers items that may be carried on Aer Lingus flights but require approval prior to travel and where quantities or regulation of items are restricted.
If you plan on travelling with any of these items you must contact your local reservations department at least 48 hours prior to departure.
- Battery powered mobility aids
- non-spillable batteries
- spillable batteries or with lithium batteries
- lithium ion batteries (collapsible)
- Camping stoves and fuel containers that have contained a flammable liquid fuel - fuel tank/container must be empty.
- Lithium ion Batteries with a Watt-hour rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh.
- Contained within security-type equipment.
- Spare lithium ion batteries - Maximum of two spare batteries per person.
- Mercury-filled items - barometers, thermometers, etc.
- Avalanche rescue backpack - must be packed with pressure relief valves and in a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated.
- Solid carbon dioxide (dry ice)
- Heat-producing articles - underwater torches (diving lamps), soldering irons, etc.
- Oxygen and other small cylinders for medical use - cylinder must have a gross weight under 5 kg.
- Life jackets - containing small non-flammable gas cylinders (containing suitable gas in Division 2.2).
- Portable medical electronic devices - Automated External Defibrillators (AED), Nebulizer, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) containing lithium batteries, etc. Please note: Aer Lingus cannot provide onboard power for portable medical devices. For more information, see Special Assistance
- Chemical agent monitoring equipment
- Firearms and/or Ammunition (cartridges for weapons), securely packaged.
Our Reservations Department must receive the following details at least 48 hours before travel:
- Type (handgun, rifle, shotgun)
- Quantity (weight) and calibre
Upon presentation at the airport:
- Sport Guns are dismantled and packed one per case.
- Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be packed separately from other baggage.
- Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be available for inspection by security.
- Ammunition is limited to 5kg per passenger.
- Ammunition must be packed in containers of wood, metal, or fireboard with the contents protected against any movement.
- Only the licensed firearm owner may check-in a Sport Gun upon presentation of their valid Firearm License at check-in.
Note: Sports Weapons/Firearms/Ammunition cannot be carried on Aer Lingus regional flights.